Old St Mary's Church 1824 -1876
St Mary's Church, East Parade 1876-2006
Funds to enable St Mary’s on the Hill to be replaced began to be collected in 1865 but it was not until 12 September 1874 that the Foundation stone was laid. It had been hoped that a bell tower could be included in this project but there was still not enough money for it so, as a compromise, the foundations for it were built but not the tower itself. Seating 1000, the building is 151 feet long, 56 feet wide. The Chancel arch is 30 feet wide and 50 feet high. It took 2 years to build and cost £7000. The cost had been reduced by the help given by many Parishioners. An adjacent Presbytery was then built which cost £4000.
Today, all the buildings stand though
they are no longer used for their original
purpose. From north to south along East
Parade stand: Church Hall (was used as La
Scala Cinema for several years), the Church,
Presbytery and then schools. La Scala, a
Church Hall, was not built at the time of this
Many additions were made to the interior of
the Church and it is now has a Grade 2 Listing.
Photos of Old St Mary's, East Parade.
War Memorial to the men of the Parish who died in the great war 1914-1919
Commissioned by Canon Schreiber in the early 1920s costing £700. The painting of the Crucifixion was pained by M. Cracco from Belgium. The colour photo shows the War Memorial at the closing of the Church.
Union of Catholic Mother's Golden Jubilee
With Fr Ronchetti